There are some pressing developments that are going to be directly affecting our world sooner than later. Let me share with you the top 4 that are screaming at us right now...
Autonomous Automobiles And The Social Disruption That Comes With Them.
In the next 3-4 years, Ford will be rolling out autonomous vehicles in a ride-sharing service. BMW, Dailmer Benz and VW are racing to get their autonomous cars and systems in place. Apple and Google have already created the infrastructure for these vehicles. Driverless cars are not some distant dream. They are happening now and will become dominant over the next few years. Let me share what aspects of our society will face major social disruption because of this development: This information was prepared by my friend and colleague, Thomas Frey.
1. Retail Sales Tax Loss. 40% of State and local taxes come from auto sales. With automated cars, auto purchases will fall dramatically.
2. Falling municipal revenues from auto-related fees (parking tickets, registration fees, toll roads, etc.).
3. The potential loss in revenue to hospitals because of the fall in traffic accidents.
4. Revenues generated by airports from parking. According to the Airports Council of North America, 41% of airport revenues come from parking. That is now in danger.
5. From truck drivers to bus drivers to taxi drivers and delivery services, jobs will be eliminated.
What we're about to find out is how dependent modern society is to the traditional automobile. Up to this point, we're not even having the conversation about what to do with this level of social disruption.
Managing The Coming Mental Health Crisis Associated With Massive Change.
It is clear that we're not preparing people for this immediate change. We are and will pay the price for that.
1. The rise in depression, anxiety and suicide in the US and other Western nations will only increase as our societies are unprepared to help people manage this level of expectation and change. http://www.salon.com/2013/08/26/how_our_society_breeds_anxiety_depression_and_dysfunction_partner/
2. The anticipation of change itself, without conversation about it, is causing an anxiety wave in many countries. http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/whats-behind-the-anxiety-epidemic-mental-health/18435#....
We are way behind in having a conversation about Universal Basic Income (if we're having it at all).
Large swaths of people will be without a job over the next few years. Universal Basic Income may be one way of helping to mitigate the challenge.
1.Finland is gettting ahead of this potential crisis by testing Universal Basic Income..http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/03/finland-experiments-universal-basic-income.html
2. It's not even on the plate for leaders in many countries.http://www.inquisitr.com/3513897/jobs-in-america-artificial-intelligence-robots-donald-trump-hillary...
We may not be properly preparing students for this kind of shift.
Unlike what some colleges think, preparing for the the current world paradigm shift requires us to help students understand the importance and value of being human.
Yes it's about understanding the technology, but understanding it from a position of it being a tool of our highest visions. http://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2016/04/05/why-everyone-must-get-ready-for-4th-industrial-re...
Mathematics is important, but so are social skills, negotiation skills, creativity, thinking, innovation, insight and vision. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-skills-you-need-thrive-fourth-industrial-revolution-lars-boom
There are hundreds of other challenges that are unfolding right in front of us because of this shift in how the world works. It is clear that this is not like the industrial revolution. This is a swift, massive change unlike anything we've ever seen before. Next week, I'll talk about the massive opportunities this change has created.
If you'd like me or the LEAD Global Team to speak to your group, company or organization to help you plan around this development, write me back at email@example.com.
Chet W. Sisk
International Institute of Inspiration Economy
Chet W. Sisk is an author and one of the world's leading Social Futurists. He is also expert on the current world paradigm shift. Find out more about him and the LEAD Global Team at www.leadtheshift.com or you can write him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org